Monday, March 21, 2005

Not a bad weekend

Friday night I went to the Jovial Club for Friday night fish dinner with my mom and aunts and uncles. While I was there I realized that as of yesterday, I've been engaged for an entire year. Sheesh, less then five months remaining. I remembered because we went to Jovial Club last year the Friday after St. Patrick's Day and that was the night I proposed.

Saturday, KT and I piled in the car headed north to Milwaukee for a Rusted Root show. They are a hippy-type jam band that I wasn't all that familiar with but I enjoyed the show anyway. The best part of the night was the venue itself. It was at the Eagles' Ballroom at The Rave. Of course, at least seven people told us the same story regarding the history of the place.

Apparently, it was built and owned by the Eagles fraternal organization. At some point in the 1970s -- so the local lore says -- Milwaukee city rules were going to force the club to admit women into its membership. Rather than have the government tell them what to do, the club shut down and left the building. Some years later it was converted to a concert venue that can host as many as five shows at one time. Yikes! The place is a time warp right back to the 20s. I'd imagine the actual structure has changed little if at all but the new owners have covered every square inch in dark purples and black so the place is actually kind of spooky.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home